
Every time I see masses of Londoners, I get visions of stampeding cattle and sometimes Bison. Cows coming out of the underground. Cow dung at a trendy restaurant. Too much Damien Hirst you might say. The doctor thinks it's stress. My doctor is only my doctor as I managed to barter Harley Street treatment in return for an installation I did with Christine Borland which graces his surgery. It's a video projection of the four stomachs of, you guessed it, a cow. Except it's very very pretty. The soundtrack, produced by Matt Black of Coldcut is based on "alpha frequencies" which seduce the clients, I mean patients, in the waiting room into a kind of soporphoric stupor so they'll agree to anything. Alpha frequencies are sleep inducing. It's not the first time I found my own work boring. I feel ill.
I have just done my tax returns for the year, I go out for lunch with Chris Ofili known for his cow dung imagery as I am badly in need of a drink. I'd done a residency at Ellen Wilkinson High School in Manchester and Chris was once a young buck there. The school had the highest level of truancy in the UK at the time. I am intrigued how Chris went from there to doing psychedelic images of the buddha and virgin mary with blobs of animal poo on them.
(note to self, this foreshadows the wild west).

No comments:
Post a Comment